Thursday, March 17, 2011

To Blog or not to Blog

Let me first start by saying that although I am blogging right now, I do not consider myself a blogger. I am blogging because it is part of my responsibilities as a student in a graduate school journalism class. As a former reporter turned teacher I don't really like blogging. To me, it does not feel like reporting. It feels like a strange version of an opinion/column writing, which does not necessarily look to persuade.

However, if I was teaching students what to do and what not to do when blogging, I would start with the Blogger 's Code of Ethics presented by cyberjournalist.net. It recommends being honest and fair, minimizing harm, and being accountable. Ultimately, students who are acting as journalists and blogging should be following the same basic principles and foundations of traditional journalists. Unfortunately, blogging and social media networking have no boundaries and the audience does not expect accuracy and objectivity. Let's face it..it's a free-for-all. Anybody can blog. Not anyone can be a professional journalist. You don't need any training or a job to be a blogger and you don't have to answer to anyone. As a journalist you need to follow procedures, answer to leaders, and maintain professionalism. There are really no rules for blogging. As I am writing now I want to follow aforementioned code of ethics, but I don't have to. Personally, I hope blogging and social media never replaces true reporting. If it does, our world will never come close to knowing the truth. Some may argue that we don't know it now, but I think it will only get worse when the line between blogging and reporting becomes even blurrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment